Monday, February 16, 2009

A good use of a college degree. . .


Pattern: "Swifty" from Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines
by Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne
Yarn: Lilly Sugar and Cream
Needles: Size 7 Addi Turbos
I really don't know why. I just had to try this pattern in the new Mason-Dixon book. It just seemed so cheerful and useful and fun that I just couldn't help myself. I had a cone of Lilly Sugar and cream in white in the stash and I happened across the pink and green when browsing thru JoAnn's recently on a button-finding mission. It took about two days on and off to make.
So, after I took these lovely pics, I gave it a test drive. My verdict? It doesn't glide like the swiffer pads, but I can put MY choice of non-toxic cleaners on it--or just hot water will do in most cases. I heard a rumor that the swiffer pads contain chemicals that are bad for children and pets and I don't really like being forced to buy their products if I don't want to. This is a very viable alternative, if you like the simplicity of a swiffer vs. the traditional mop.
Personally, I hate mopping but really should do it more often than I do now--my 8-month-old will be crawling soon and there are two dogs, a cat and three other people living in the house. Things just get messy in no time at all. I can see this being used a couple of times a week and just tossed in with the next load of towels. Tres green! Which I love! And did I mention, its cheerful? Though less so, once it is covered in grunge!
I really should make another one to use when the first one is dirty. I had so much fun making this that I'm considering using the leftovers to make some dishcloths, something I wouldn't have considered before, but sounds like fun now. I might just start mopping more than once every few weeks (yikes, did I just admit to that!!!!!--I do vaccuum all areas almost every day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment